So far I'm finding this course both very interesting and very overwhelming.
I love the new ELC setup and appreciate the weekly activity list and especially the checklist. Both items are helping me stay on track throughout each week. I am also trying to read as much of the discussion posting as possible. So many students in this course have different backgrounds than myself, new ideas (that I can't wait to
The breakdown of course work in individual, whole group and team spaces is an interesting concept I've not experienced before. To begin this course we introduced ourselves, became acquainted with team members and learned the importance of working as a community. I do feel much more "connected" than I have to an online course before. I'm starting to know which of my classmates share my views or likely have posted something that I will find interest with. I'm struggling a bit to keep everything straight and remember all of the assignments each week, though I think that's LIFE getting in my way more than the course setup.
I love reading about web 2.0 tools, social media, social networking and the use of all these things within the classroom. The ideas are innovative, exciting and motivating for me as a teacher and a learner. I so wish I had more freedom in my classroom to try some of the great tools we are learning about. Without the freedom of "unblocked" tools I do feel a bit confined in my abilities to completely involve my students. But... I can only change what I am able and for now my short term goals include those things.
1.) Research research research! Find tools we can use!
2.) Keep students using technology. This way when the tools are ready our students will be ready too!
3.) Keep thinking/ planning outside the box to incorporate tools we do have into instruction daily.
With so many great ideas already shared I'm interested to see what else this semester will bring!
Jaclyn,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the thoughtful, reflective post. I know that this course can be overwhelming, especially those new to online learning or new to the structure of the balance of WG,Team,Individual activities some of the faculty at JHU (not all) embrace.
You have a positive approach and attitude to try new things. I like that you are identifying specific people that might share interests or perspectives. I had never thought of that as a strategy for helping to manage reading thru all the discussion posts. You've give me a good idea to share as a strategy in future classes I teach. I think if you identify 2-3 key people and make those connections, if it's not possible to read thru all posts, just honing in on those few could be work well.
Donna